Awareness of mold growth in buildings has risen sharply in recent years. Several factors have contributed to this heightened awaeness, including energy conservation measures, changes in building materials, the use of fast-track construction techniques, failure of occupants to manage moisture intrusion and humidity properly, and an increased reliance on mechanical Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems for comfort control. In addition, significant media focus and litigation have fueled increased consumer concern.The IICRC S520 Standard and Reference Guide for Professional Mold Remediation to combine scientific principles with practical procedures for remediatiors facing mold remediation challenges.
Mold Remediation and Control
In a humid environment, when temperatures rise mold growth is almost inevitable. Usually, this can occur as the result of a water leak , excessive moisture or condensation in a building, but also from storm damage. Never attempt to remediate mold by yourself! Always hire a professional like KCS to assist with expertise and trained professionals who understand how to deal with the mold and solve the problem safely and effectively. Our team can eliminate the mold without it spreading to different areas of your building. We employ a team of experts that come prepared for mold remediation by wearing all necessary safety equipment and clothing.
Inhalation exposure to mold indoors can cause health effect in some people, but it is estimated that about 10 per-cent of the population is severely allergic to mold. Symptoms include respiratory problems, nasal and sinus congestion, watery eyes, sore throat, coughing and skin irritations. Mold also can trigger asthma attacks. In some cases reactions are fatal. Children (especially infants), elderly persons, pregnant women, people with respiratory problems, and those whose immune systems are impaired are at higher risk from mold exposure. Even persons who have no ill effects at first may develop an aller-gy to mold after continued exposure. Therefore, everyone should avoid exposure to mold spores.
Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases potentially toxic substances or chemicals (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching spores or mold spores may casue allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Mold does not need to be alive to cause ah allergic reaction. Viable or non-viable mold can cause allergic reactions to some people.